Getting a full night’s sleep of at least seven hours has been proven to have positive effects for overall health. About one in three people fall short of getting this basic requirement and it’s no wonder with hectic schedules and the buzz of electronics constantly vying for our attention and time. All this activity incites the mind to keep active when we should be trying to get some sleep. Thankfully there are several ways we can use supplemented nutrition to help achieve a peaceful night’s rest. Here’s a list of vitamins and minerals that will help you wind down and fall asleep faster.
- Calcium has a calming effect on the body, a deficiency in this mineral tends to make people feel restless.
- Serotonin: Serotonin is a natural chemical that your brain produces to signal your body to prepare for sleep.
- Melatonin: Melatonin is a sleep regulator produced inside the body. It helps maintain your body’s inner clock and indicates when the body should start relaxing and winding down.
- Tryptophan: Ever wonder why you feel sleepy after a Thanksgiving meal? It could be that you ate too much but it could also be because the turkey you ate contains tryptophan. Tryptophan is a key ingredient necessary for the brain to produce serotonin and melatonin. Tryptophan can also be found in a seed extract that is used to make 5-htp, also known as 5-hydroxytryptophan.
- B vitamins: Vitamin B3, otherwise known as niacin, has been found to increase the effectiveness of tryptophan and allow you to sleep through the night without waking up. Deficiencies in B5, pantothenic acid, and B9, folic acid, have been linked to fatigue and insomnia. Vitamin B12, cobalamin, helps regulate the body’s sleep cycle and help with problems falling asleep.
- Magnesium: Low levels of magnesium in the body and lead to fitful sleep that don’t allow you to reach the REM cycle necessary for a good night’s rest. It can also cause nervousness.
All of these supplements provide natural ways to calm your mind and fight insomnia. They encourage the body to return to a more rhythmic sleep cycle that will help to keep you sleeping peacefully through the night. If you are looking for a natural, non-GMO, organic product line to help you boost these important supplements so you can get a more restful sleep, check out our full line of products at Feel Great 365.